Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Trefeglwys, Montgomeryshire - The first chapel was opened in 1844. When this became too small for the growing congregation the present chapel was built and opened in 1872.
• Chapels are closing in Wales at the rate of one a week
• Many congregations are finding it impossible to maintain their buildings
• Each year large numbers of chapel records and documents are destroyed or lost, despite the fact that nonconformity is of great importance in the history both of Wales generally and of local communities
• Dozens of chapels are demolished each year, others are unsympathetically converted to other uses without first being photographed or recorded
• Many chapel buildings are of outstanding architectural interest but few are afforded protection by becoming listed buildings
• Encourage the study and preservation of the Nonconformist heritage of Wales
• Offer information and advice to congregations on ways to maintain and preserve their buildings
• Record and study chapel architecture
• Encourage chapels to safeguard their records
• Encourage sympathetic conversion of chapels no longer required for their original purpose
Members of the committee come from different parts of Wales and beyond and represent a variety of organisations and interests. The committee is assisted by a number of specialist buildings and denominational advisors.
Capel's activities include: Events Publications
How to join Capel...
Dr Lionel Madden Hon President
Cllr Meirick Lloyd Davies Chairman
Revd Peter Jennings Secretary
Mr Richard Thomas Treasurer
Ms Susie Fielding Editor of Newsletter
Mrs Marlies Cope
Mrs Rosemary Davies
Miss Muriel Bowen Evans
Mr Andrew Mathieson
Dr D Huw Owen